Local News

162 Victims Killed by Bandits in Kwara communities

News Update

Armed gunmen killed at least 162 people during attacks on two villages in Kwara state, Nigeria, a lawmaker said Wednesday, in one of the deadliest assaults in recent months. One rights group estimated the death toll could be higher.

The attacks targeted the villages of Woro and Nuku, on Tuesday evening, Mohammed Omar Bio, a member of parliament representing the area, told The Associated Press.

He said the attacks were carried out by the Lakurawa, an armed group affiliated with the Islamic State group. No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Ayodeji Emmanuel Babaomo, the Red Cross secretary in Kwara state, said the organization has been unable to reach the communities where “scores of people were killed” because they are in a remote area — about eight hours from the state capital and near Nigeria’s border with Benin.

Footage from the scene on local television show bodies lying in blood on the ground, some with their hands tied, as well as burning houses.

Amnesty International said in a statement the gunmen killed over 170 people, razed homes and looted shops.

“The security lapses that enabled these attack are unacceptable,” the rights group said, adding that the gunmen had been sending “warning” letters to the villagers for more than five months.

State governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq described the attack as a “cowardly expression of frustration by terrorist cells” in response to ongoing military operations against armed extremists in the state.

Nigeria is in the grip of a complex security crisis, with an insurgency by Islamic militants in the northeast alongside a surge in kidnappings for ransom by gunmen across the northwest and north-central regions over recent months.

MESSAGE us @ https://Wa.me/+2348072633727 for business relationship, Advert, PR, Publicity, Awareness, Interviews, Feature Stories, Press Release/Statement and so on…

Separately on Tuesday, unknown gunmen killed at least 13 people in the village of Doma, in the northwestern state of Katsina, police spokesman Abubakar Sadiq Aliyu said. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Source: The Associated Press.

VAM News

Recent Posts

FG’s UTME Exemption Raises Education Concerns

The Federal Government’s decision to exempt candidates seeking admission into Colleges of Education and Agriculture…

9 minutes ago

APC 2027: Ondo Reps Candidates Emerge After Heated Primaries – Full list

THE All Progressives Congress. APC, has unveiled its candidates for the 2027 House of Representatives…

3 hours ago

Fake News Alert: Small Alhaji Team Slams “Thugs Disrupted APC Secretariat” Report, Says Story is False

SMALL ALHAJI MEDIA TEAM DEBUNKS ‘THUG DISRUPTION’ CLAIMS, DESCRIBES REPORT AS FALSE AND AI-MANIPULATED The…

11 hours ago

Ekiti South Federal Constituency II Moves to Form Coalition Against Femi Bamisile, Considers NDC as Alternative

Political stakeholders, youths and concerned leaders across Ekiti South Federal Constituency II have rejected the…

12 hours ago

Tajudeen Adefisoye “Small Alhaji” Cleared for Idanre/Ifedore APC primary

All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Representatives aspirant for Idanre/Ifedore Federal constituency, Ondo State, Tajudeen…

17 hours ago

Coach Alonso issues message for Chelsea fc

News Update New Chelsea manager, Xabi Alonso, has expressed happiness after he was appointed as…

19 hours ago