News Update
THE Confederation of African Football (CAF) has awarded three points, and three goals to Nigeria for the abandoned game against Libya.
The decision follows an investigation into the botched October 15 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Benghazi by the CAF Disciplinary Board.
Nigeria had walked away from the tie following poor treatment by the host country that left Super Eagles players and staff stranded at an abandoned airport for almost a day.
CAF in its ruling said it found the Libya Football Federation to have breached Article 31 of the African Cup of Nations Regulations as well as Articles 82 and 151 of the CAF Disciplinary Code.
The 5-point decision reads:
The Libya Football Federation is found to have breached Article 31 of the African Cup of Nations Regulations as well as Articles 82 and 151 of the CAF Disciplinary Code.
The match No.87 Libya v. Nigeria of the CAF African Cup of Nations Qualifiers 2025 (scheduled to be played on 15 October 2024 in Benghazi) is declared lost by forfeit by Libya (by a score of 3-0).
The Libya Football Federation is ordered to pay a fine of USD 50,000.
The fine is to be paid within 60 days of notification of the present decision.
All other and further motions or prayers for relief are dismissed.
CAF president, Patrice Motsepe had earlier said that the continental body would not tolerate any lack of sportsmanship and unfair treatment in African football.
With the decision, Nigeria now has ten (10) points from four games.
Gunshots on Monday rocked some wards in the Ondo Central Senatorial District in Ondo State…
A pregnant woman shockingly gave birth to a baby boy in the middle of a…
News Update THE All Progressives Congress, APC, has released the list of senatorial aspirants not…
THE Tanimu Turaki-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is set to screen former…
A pedestrian has lost his life after being knocked down by a Toyota Coaster bus…
The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir…