Local News

Olufon stool: Women hit street, seek due process

Voice Air Media, News Update

Protesting women in Ifon-Osun town have called on the Osun State Government to apply the 1978 Chieftaincy Declaration in the selection of a new monarch for the community.

The women, who came out enmasse on Tuesday in Ifon-Osun town, Orolu Local Government Area, disclosed that they were protesting the purported plan to select a new traditional ruler for the town without following due process.

They also claimed that the government has failed to allow the legal process to take its course in the selection of a new king.

“The 1979 declaration as affirmed by a court of competent jurisdiction should be used in the selecting a new monarch,” the protesters claimed.

“There are five ruling houses in Ifon-Orolu and if due process is followed, it is the turn of Odunolu ruling house to produce the next occupant of the stool.

“Any attempt to impose a candidate could lead to chaos and complicate the security situation in the area,” they warned.

A protester, Princess Salmot Adenijis said Ifon is a traditional town whose selection of a new king is by tradition.

She pleaded with the State governor to allow the tradition to be enforced.

“Out of the five ruling houses, only Odunolu is left behind. Morounfolu, Orisatoyinbo, Oluyeyin, Olumoyero have all produced Olufon. We’re pleading to the State government to please yield to our cry and not allow those who want to cheat us,” she said.

Another protester, Princess Folashade Oyedotun said Ifon-Orolu people were peace-loving and would not want anything that would truncate it.

“The purported letter issued to Morounfolu ruling house to present a candidate for the stool is illegitimate.

“A letter had been given to Odunolu before then. We were already deliberating on who to be chosen for Odunolu. The second day, they withdrew the letter and we were sued to court by the Morounfolu ruling house and we have been in court since then.

“Due to the strike embarked on by judiciary staff and the communal crisis between Ifon and Ilobu, the government overlooked the court case and elected someone from Morounfolu ruling house,” Oyedotun claimed.

VAM News

Recent Posts

Fake News Alert: Small Alhaji Team Slams “Thugs Disrupted APC Secretariat” Report, Says Story is False

SMALL ALHAJI MEDIA TEAM DEBUNKS ‘THUG DISRUPTION’ CLAIMS, DESCRIBES REPORT AS FALSE AND AI-MANIPULATED The…

3 hours ago

Ekiti South Federal Constituency II Moves to Form Coalition Against Femi Bamisile, Considers NDC as Alternative

Political stakeholders, youths and concerned leaders across Ekiti South Federal Constituency II have rejected the…

4 hours ago

Tajudeen Adefisoye “Small Alhaji” Cleared for Idanre/Ifedore APC primary

All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Representatives aspirant for Idanre/Ifedore Federal constituency, Ondo State, Tajudeen…

9 hours ago

Coach Alonso issues message for Chelsea fc

News Update New Chelsea manager, Xabi Alonso, has expressed happiness after he was appointed as…

12 hours ago

State Perm Sec dies during Hajj

News Update Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, has expressed regrets over the death of the…

13 hours ago

US, Nigerian troops kill ISIS second-in-command

News Update US President Donald Trump says Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the second-in-command of ISIS, has been…

2 days ago