National

Nigeria’s failure to tackle rape crisis emboldens perpetrators, silences survivors – Amnesty


By Noah Banjo

Global human rights advocacy group, Amnesty International, has said that the failure of the Nigerian government to tackle rape and other gender-based violence cases emboldens its perpetrators.

 

 

In a report released on Wednesday titled ‘Nigeria: A Harrowing Journey; Access To Justice for Women and Girls Survivors of Rape’, the group noted that the government’s failure to act effectively silences survivors.

 

 

The report, which is based on research carried out between March 2020 and August 2021, covers appaling cases of sexual violence against women and girls, including a six-year-old and an 11-year-old who were attacked so viciously they died.

 

 

Commenting on the report, the Director of Amnesty International Nigeria, Osai Ojigho, stated that despite the declaration of a “state of emergency” on sexual and gender-based violence, rape persists at crisis levels with most survivors denied justice, rapists avoiding prosecution, and hundreds of cases of rape going unreported due to pervasive corruption, stigma, and victim-blaming.

 

 

She said, “The fear of not being believed, or even being blamed for being raped, is creating a dangerous culture of silence that prevents survivors from seeking justice.

 

 

“It is unacceptable that survivors of rape and other forms of gender-based violence face such a torturous ordeal to get justice, which only adds to their pain.

 

 

“The ‘state of emergency’ has proven to be an empty declaration, which has so far done nothing to protect women and girls in Nigeria.”

 

 

The Director added that the COVID-19 pandemic negatively impacted the safety of women and girls in Nigeria, who were often dismissed by the police.

 

 

“The Covid-19 pandemic only exposed what has been going on for so long. Not only are women and girls being raped in Nigeria, but when they are brave enough to come forward they are being dismissed by police officers as liars and attention-seekers – slurs which inflict further injury,” Ojigho added.

 

 

A MUST TO READ
For your Advert Placement, Publicity, Press Release, Personality Promotion, Special Report, Featured story, Conference, Interviews, And So On – CONTACT US on WhatsApp/Call📞@ 08072633727 📲
NOTE: We wish to add you to our WhatsApp Database to get our Trending, latest and timely news directly into your WhatsApp Box as the news breaks.

Olorungbotemi

Recent Posts

2027: Presidential candidates Sign Peace Accord

...The ceremony came one day before the commencement of campaigns for the presidential and National…

12 hours ago

Ekiti announces date for 2026 Ikogosi Road Race

THE 2026 Ikogosi Road Race will take place on October 31 following official endorsement from…

16 hours ago

Nollywood Actor Hassan Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ in critical condition

THE daughter of veteran Yoruba actor, Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has debunked reports…

16 hours ago

Osun 2026: Oyebamiji Thanks Supporters, Flags Attacks On APC Members, Urges Peace

All Progressives Congress, APC, governorship candidate in the just-concluded Osun State election, Asiwaju Munirudeen Bola…

23 hours ago

83 more Nigerians evacuated from South Africa over Xenophobia attacks

THE Federal Government has announced that another batch of 83 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa…

24 hours ago

“A Great Loss”: Osun Online Publishers Mourn Matron Olufunmilola Abokede

THE Osun Online Publishers Association (OOPA) is in mourning following the death of its Matron,…

1 day ago