Local News

Reactions as football club fans attack referees, players after match

News Update

THE Nigeria Premier Football League (NPFL) has strongly condemned the violent scenes that followed Sunday’s 1–1 draw between Kano Pillars and Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) at the Sani Abacha Stadium in Kano.

Chaos broke out at the Sani Abacha Stadium after Kano Pillars fans invaded the pitch and attacked match officials, players, and staff of Shooting Stars Sports Club following a dramatic late equaliser.

The fixture, which ended 1–1, descended into violent scenes moments after the final whistle.

Kano Pillars had taken the lead through Mustapha Jibrin in the ninth minute, and the home crowd appeared set to celebrate victory.

However, during the stoppage time, Adams Mustapha equalised for Shooting Stars, a goal that turned jubilation into chaos.

In a statement released, the NPFL’s Chief Operating Officer, Davidson Owumi, condemned the incident and promised swift sanctions once official reports are reviewed.

“We condemn in the strongest terms any act of violence, intimidation, or misconduct directed at players, match officials, or fans,” Mr Owumi said.

“This isolated incident is being treated with utmost seriousness.

“Appropriate actions will follow upon review of the full reports from the Match Commissioner and Referees.”

He added that the league management had contacted both match officials and Shooting Stars representatives to ensure their safety.

In a separate statement, the management of Kano Pillars acknowledged the unrest but insisted the situation was “swiftly brought under control.”

“Immediately after the final whistle, a few misguided persons attempted to cause disorder within the stadium premises. However, thanks to the swift intervention of our stewards and security agencies, the situation was promptly brought under control,” the club stated.

The club confirmed that several individuals had been arrested and handed over to the police and pledged full cooperation with security agencies.

“Kano Pillars FC will fully cooperate with the authorities to ensure that any individual found culpable faces the full wrath of the law,” the statement added.

“Furthermore, the club will impose strict sanctions by banning all identified troublemakers from accessing the Sani Abacha Stadium for the next 10 seasons.”

VAM News

Recent Posts

Osun APC calls for calm amid election disputes

The leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Osun State has called for restraint…

34 minutes ago

Bandits behead abducted teacher

Michael Oyedokun, one of the kidnapped teachers of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local…

50 minutes ago

Supporter shot dead at APC poll

A yet-to-be-identified man was shot dead while several others sustained injuries during a violent clash…

58 minutes ago

FG’s UTME Exemption Raises Education Concerns

The Federal Government’s decision to exempt candidates seeking admission into Colleges of Education and Agriculture…

1 hour ago

APC 2027: Ondo Reps Candidates Emerge After Heated Primaries – Full list

THE All Progressives Congress. APC, has unveiled its candidates for the 2027 House of Representatives…

5 hours ago

Fake News Alert: Small Alhaji Team Slams “Thugs Disrupted APC Secretariat” Report, Says Story is False

SMALL ALHAJI MEDIA TEAM DEBUNKS ‘THUG DISRUPTION’ CLAIMS, DESCRIBES REPORT AS FALSE AND AI-MANIPULATED The…

12 hours ago