Featured

Over 11,000 Underage Candidates Register for 2025 UTME – JAMB Raises Concern

The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, has revealed that over 11,553 underage candidates have registered for the 2025 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.

 

Oloyede made the disclosure in Lagos on Friday while inspecting approved computer-based test centres where candidates are being registered.

 

According to Oloyede, a total of 782,027 candidates have been registered in the last 10 days.

 

“Now, we have registered 782,027, and 11,553 of them are underage. So, you can see that as we are registering, the system is reporting from all over the country. Out of the expected two million candidates, we’re not yet at the 14th day.

 

“Monday will mark our 14th day. So, in two weeks, we would have completed about half of our registration process, and by that time, we expect to have over one million candidates registered. So far, everything has been smooth,” he said.

 

Oloyede pointed out that on Friday alone, 443 underage candidates were registered, with 18,813 candidates successfully registered that morning.

 

“Today alone, we have 443 underage candidates, and out of the 18,813 registered this morning, 443 are underage. This year, we’ve introduced a system that allows us to identify and track underage candidates.

 

“This will help us understand their issues and even identify those who might be genuinely gifted but still underage,” he explained.

 

He also spoke about a growing trend of parents enrolling their children early, stating, “It has become a common thing now, where parents whether mothers or fathers are registering their underage children, sometimes due to pressure or other reasons.”

 

He noted that the registration process for this year’s examination has experienced both commendable progress and notable delays, according to an official statement issued earlier this week.

 

Oloyede shared insights into the ongoing technical challenges and improvements.

 

“You are here. You were here last year. See if you can find any power outages, network failures, and so forth. I just heard recently that due to the technical measures put in place this year, things are a bit slow,” he said.

 

Oloyede acknowledged the delays while hinting that the situation was being actively managed.

 

Despite some criticisms, Oloyede noted that Nigerians’ desire for efficiency can sometimes clash with the systems put in place to regulate the process.

 

He said, “No, it’s not a bit slow. You know Nigerians generally want to have things their own way. Look at these students. In other climes, they have to register on their own. Nobody should be doing registration for them.”

 

He went on to emphasise the effort being made to ensure the system is thorough, stating that while some students had the option of having assistance with registration, many were not taking the process seriously.

 

“But go and see the attitude. Even when we have engaged people to be doing the enrollment for them, something they are supposed to do on their own, they are even not attentive.”

 

To mitigate potential issues, Oloyede disclosed that new measures were being introduced to ensure candidates fully engaged with the registration process.

 

He added, “What we do is that we put some safety valves into it. For example, for a candidate who is registered, we expect him to read certain rules. Before he will say, I agree. In the past, once he said, I agree, it goes. But we have now put a time limit. A time-space that whether he likes it or not, he must read because the system will not go until that time elapses.”

 

Despite the challenges, he pointed out the significant progress in registrations.

 

Oloyede said, “This is the first time that we have been registering 80,000-plus. Yesterday, we registered close to 100,000 across the country. And we have budgeted for 60,000 per day. That’s what we use in our planning.”

 

“But from the third day, we started 80,000, 90,000 per day. So, which means we will finish long before the time.”

 

 

NOTE: YOU can join our Online Platform for the News updates by sending your Full name & Location to us on WhatsApp and for your Advert and Publication @ 08072633727

 

YOU CAN READ MORE NEWS UPDATES AND INFO @ https://www.voiceairmedia.com

Akanji Philip

Akanji Philip has been working as a reporter with VOICE AIR MEDIA, both onsite at the head office in Odi-Olowo, Osogbo, and remotely since 2021. He has covered events at notable political venues, involving prominent figures such as former Osun Governor Adegboyega Oyetola, current Osun State Governor Senator Isiaka Adetunji Adeleke, former Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo, the late Ondo Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, and various other representatives and lawmakers. In addition, he has represented the company at various press conferences at police stations and has reported on occasions featuring entertainers and actors, such as Kola Oyewo during Oba-Ile Day in Osun State, among others. 📞 +2349058501092, +2348137827714 ✉️ akanjiphilips100@gmail.com

Recent Posts

Osun 2026: Oyebamiji Thanks Supporters, Flags Attacks On APC Members, Urges Peace

All Progressives Congress, APC, governorship candidate in the just-concluded Osun State election, Asiwaju Munirudeen Bola…

7 hours ago

83 more Nigerians evacuated from South Africa over Xenophobia attacks

THE Federal Government has announced that another batch of 83 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa…

8 hours ago

“A Great Loss”: Osun Online Publishers Mourn Matron Olufunmilola Abokede

THE Osun Online Publishers Association (OOPA) is in mourning following the death of its Matron,…

9 hours ago

Ekiti Government Flags Off WEE Policy Workshop To Drive Sustainable Women’s Economic Inclusion

NEWS UPDATE In a bold push to institutionalize inclusive growth and expand socio-economic frontiers for…

17 hours ago

Olojudo of Ido-Osun Felicitates Adeleke on Re-election, Calls it Testament to God’s Will, Democracy

THE Olojudo of Ido-Osun Alayemore, Oba Olayinka Oyetunde Ishola Jokotola has described the victory of…

18 hours ago

Ondo raises tertiary institutions’ subvention, approves FG-varsities unions deal

News Update In furtherance of his administration’s commitment to education and the welfare of workers,…

22 hours ago