Foreign

Court Jailed Nigerian for Rape

A 37-year-old Nigerian man who attacked and raped a woman in her own home has been jailed for five years in Scotland.

Innocent Megbolu, was sentenced at the High Court in Edinburg on October 6, 2025.

He was also made subject to a non harassment order banning him from communicating or approaching the woman for an indefinite period bail.

Megbolu, formerly of Craigmillar, in Edinburgh, grabbed hold of the woman during the attack in her flat in the Leith area of the city on August 21, 2023, after she earlier asked him to leave her home.

A judge told the sex attacker: “The degree of harm caused by you in committing this crime must be considered as particularly high.”

Judge Alistair Watson said at the High Court in Edinburgh: “Her evidence was she was crying and shouting and yet you continued with your conduct.”

The judge said that he took into account that the offence took place at the home of the victim where she was entitled to feel safe and be safe.

Megbolu had denied raping the woman during an earlier trial but was convicted of the attack by a jury.

An acquaintance of the victim told the court: “She told me that he flipped her over – like a wrestling move.”

The woman was shaking and in shock after the assault by Megbolu.

Another woman said she received a phone call from the victim and added: “She said she had been raped.”

Defence counsel Jonathan Campbell said that Megbolu understood that, given the serious nature of the offence, a custodial sentence was “inevitable”.

He said that married, father-of-two Megbolu was a first offender and was working in the care sector prior to the commission of the crime.

Mr Campbell said: “His principal concern is for his family and the impact the conviction will have on them.”

The defence counsel said it was “highly likely” that Megbolu would be deported at the end of his prison sentence.

Megbolu was placed on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely following his sentencing.

Tijani Mariam

Recent Posts

Fuel pump price per litre increased

Nigerian filling stations have increased their Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, pump price. The adjustment was…

20 hours ago

IYD 2026: Osun Police Urge Youth to Shun Political, Digital Thuggery

THE Osun State Police Command has urged Nigerian youth to reject political violence, electoral thuggery…

22 hours ago

Setting the Record Straight: Remi Omowaiye’s Misrepresentations on the 2026 Osun Governorship Election, by Prince Adeotun Omisore

Ordinarily, one wouldn't bother on any response to inglorious pontification of Remi Omowaiye on the…

1 day ago

Ekiti Domesticates National WEE Policy to Boost Women’s Economic Inclusion

THE Ekiti State Government has commenced moves to integrate women’s economic empowerment into its broader…

1 day ago

2027: APC Constitutes Presidential Campaign Council For Tinubu’s Re-election

STATEHOUSE STATEMENT Members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council constituted; Abdulaziz Yari to serve as…

1 day ago

How Two Amotekun officers were killed in Ondo ambush attack

Two personnel of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, Amotekun Corps, were killed when suspected…

1 day ago