Categories: Local News

Ifon-Ilobu: Casualties recorded, houses burnt in renewed communal clash

•State govt reacts

Report indicates that two people were killed, and dozens of others were severely wounded in the Ifon and Ilobu communities following a new crisis over land disputes.

The violence erupted in the middle of the night on Thursday when hoodlums armed with sophisticated firearms and dangerous weapons such as charms, cutlasses, clubs, and arrows organized themselves into formidable groups to unleash terror on one another.

Reports indicate that the troublemakers engaged in a fierce battle around the Odo-Oje area, which marks the boundary between the two communities, shooting at each other indiscriminately.

During the chaos, some sustained bullet wounds, while others were attacked with machetes and beaten with traditional magical powers, like charms, to inflict harm.

The miscreants set fire to a filling station known as Olubuse Filling Station and reportedly severely beat a couple on their motorcycle before burning their bikes.

Consequently, residents in the vicinity vacated their homes and businesses for safety.

The crisis, which had been reported to the police, did not receive adequate attention until the following day when residents of both communities clashed again at Odo-Oje and other boundary areas, resulting in the burning of two motorcycles and further violence against a couple.

Police sources confirmed that the remains of the burnt motorcycles are now stored at the police station in one of the communities.

Commenting on the situation, Chief Adegoke Ogunsola, the Otun Jagun of Ilobu, stated that the Ifons had launched an attack on the people of Ilobu.

He claimed that the trouble began last Tuesday when Ifon residents assaulted an indigene of Ilobu who was trying to rebuild his home.

He added that the Ifons also attacked a couple on their motorcycle, beat them severely, and burned their motorcycles to ashes.

In response, the Chief Press Secretary to Olufon confirmed that a primary health centre in Ifon-Odun was destroyed by the attackers who invaded their community with firearms and other dangerous weapons during the night.

He reported heavy gunfire in the area and acknowledged that there were casualties, although he could not comment on the exact number at the time of reporting.

Meanwhile, the police are said to have swung into action to maintain law and orderliness as at the time of filing this report.

Two community leaders from both communities, Adesoju and Olatunde who spoke with our Journalists appealed to the security agents and the State government to act fast on the matter.

The two spokespersons who spoke to our reporter claimed that two unidentified individuals had reportedly been shot dead, causing widespread apprehension throughout the communities.

When contacted for comments, the new Osun State Police Command, Adeoye Ademola, said the police have been drafted to the troubled zone to ensure orderliness.

Meanwhile, Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed immediate security operations to restore peace between Ifon and Ilobu communities, urging the peace committee to revive the peace deal.

In a statement issued over the renewed crisis, Governor Adeleke enjoined the joint security task force to step in immediately and stop the clashes.

The Governor who decried the politicization of the crisis tasked the task force to go after the ring leaders and ensure they face the full wrath of the law.

He further urged the peace committee to ensure immediate cessation of hostility to preserve lives and properties.

The Governor who lamented the repeated breach of peace deals among the warring communities warned that his administration will take stringent action on the buffer zone between the two communities unless hostility stopped immediately.

The Governor is currently holding security and political engagements to find a lasting solution to the crisis which predates the administration of Governor Adeleke.

VAM News

Recent Posts

Tinubu Sweeps Osun APC Presidential Primary With 100,888 Votes, Opponent Gets Zero

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday was declared the winner of the presidential election primary…

46 minutes ago

2027: Hon. Tajudeen Adefisoye Declares Tinubu Winner of Idanre APC Presidential Primary

News Update IDANRE, ONDO STATE – Hon. Tajudeen Adefisoye, an allegedly uncleared aspirant who also…

5 hours ago

Ministers Who Quit Tinubu’s Cabinet Lose APC Primaries

THE decision by some former ministers of President Bola Tinubu to resign from the Federal…

5 hours ago

Trump: Why I won’t attend my son’s wedding

News Update U.S. President Donald Trump announced Friday that he will not attend his eldest…

14 hours ago

Osun: FRSC Deploys 555 Operatives For Eid-el-Kabir

THE Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, Osun Sector Command, has revealed that a total of…

20 hours ago

2026 world cup: FIFA introduces Sign Language

FIFA has announced that the 2026 FIFA World Cup will become the first edition of…

1 day ago