National

Tinubu postpones FEC meeting, hosts security chiefs

This week’s Federal Executive Council meeting has been postponed to an undisclosed date.

 

According to report from the Council Chamber at the scheduled time, some ministers were seated, President Bola Tinubu, his Vice President Kashim Shettima, his Chief of Staff, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, were yet to arrive.

 

At about 12:15 pm, some ministers began packing their memos and walking to the exit.

 

One of the ministers, who spoke to The PUNCH on condition of anonymity, said Monday’s meeting had been shifted to a soon-to-be-disclosed date.

 

“It is no longer holding today. But you know, the council meets on Mondays only when there are issues to discuss,” the minister said.

 

However, the cabinet member declined to give reasons for the postponement.

 

Nonetheless, Presidency sources who confided in our correspondent said the first notice of the meeting was disseminated on Sunday night but was postponed hours before noon.

 

However, some ministers did not receive the postponement notice on time.

 

“The ministers were not even supposed to come here because the meeting has been postponed. But it appears they got the notice very late.

 

“The meeting itself was impromptu because the notice came out last night,” said one source who asked to remain anonymous.

 

Another source who works closely with the President confirmed that President Tinubu is scheduled to meet with Service Chiefs at 2:00 pm to discuss the nationwide protests, among other matters.

 

“Yes, FEC was postponed, but there will be a security meeting at 2:00 pm,” the source said, glancing at a wristwatch.

 

Reports indicate that Nigerians, mostly youths, are regrouping across the country for the fifth day of the #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protests.

 

President Tinubu had on Sunday called for dialogue and an immediate end to the nationwide protests that have rocked the nation since Thursday.

 

Tinubu said his administration is ready to listen to and address the protesters’ concerns, affirming that he has heard their calls “loud and clear”.

 

However, protesters have continued their demonstrations in major cities, including Lagos, Abuja, and Kaduna.

 

 

Akanji Philip

Akanji Philip has been working as a reporter with VOICE AIR MEDIA, both onsite at the head office in Odi-Olowo, Osogbo, and remotely since 2021. He has covered events at notable political venues, involving prominent figures such as former Osun Governor Adegboyega Oyetola, current Osun State Governor Senator Isiaka Adetunji Adeleke, former Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo, the late Ondo Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, and various other representatives and lawmakers. In addition, he has represented the company at various press conferences at police stations and has reported on occasions featuring entertainers and actors, such as Kola Oyewo during Oba-Ile Day in Osun State, among others. 📞 +2349058501092, +2348137827714 ✉️ akanjiphilips100@gmail.com

Recent Posts

2027 Presidency: Goodluck Jonathan joins race

THE Tanimu Turaki-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is set to screen former…

2 minutes ago

Bus kills pedestrian in fatal crash

A pedestrian has lost his life after being knocked down by a Toyota Coaster bus…

38 minutes ago

Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail, Sets Conditions

The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir…

1 hour ago

US military targets ISIS in Nigeria again

The US Africa Command, AFRICOM, in a joint collaboration with the Nigerian Government has carried…

2 hours ago

Man behead mother, kills sister, child in attack

In the first incident, a middle-aged man allegedly attacked and killed his mother with a…

2 hours ago

Osun APC calls for calm amid election disputes

The leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Osun State has called for restraint…

4 hours ago