Members of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) across 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have concluded arrangements to meet on Tuesday with a view to deciding on whether to declare a total shutdown of the economy.
This is just as the Minister of Labour and Employment, Simon Lalong, again appealed to the organised labour not to paralyse economy of the country with its proposed indefinite strike, saying he has already resolved one of the most critical demands of the Congress.
In an interview with Journalist on Monday night, Lalong said, so far he was able to deliver on the first promise which was the release of the detained members of executive of National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), he would also work and deliver on other demands.
Lalong, who spoke through the spokesman of the ministry, Olajide Oshundun, maintained that the ministry had never relaxed in ensuring that good working environment is provided for workers across length and breadth of the country.
The minister, who re-emphasised his appeal to the organised labour said the government would soon make a pronouncement on the new wage award for workers, saying the NLC should give little time rather than paralysing the economy.
“We have not stopped on our roles. The federal government has not relegated its roles and responsibilities in ensuring peaceful working environment and the government has been appealing to the NLC to give some little time for the issues to be resolved.
“You would recall that when the NLC delegation came, the first two major items on their list was the release of the NURTW members of executive that were arrested and detained. The second one is the wage award.
“The Honourable minister promised them and he delivered on the first one. He personally visited the office of the Inspector-General of Police last week twice and secured the release of the detained NURTW workers.