Local News

Armed Men Attack Gov. Adeleke’s Convoy

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.

The shooting, which lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes, occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the monarch.

Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.

An eyewitness, who spoke with journalist on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said Adeleke and his entourage were received by Oba Oyetunji, where the governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.

The eyewitness said trouble started as the meeting was winding down after the monarch had offered prayers.

According to her, Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting started.

She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”

A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the assailants might have learnt of Adeleke’s visit and waited for his arrival.

She said, “We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.

“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”

The incident caused panic in the area as traders and other residents reportedly fled their businesses and sought safety during the shooting.

Commissioner for information react

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.

Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants and that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.

(The Punch)

VAM News

Recent Posts

Nigerians Deserve to See Numbers Behind 2023 Economic Reforms – Tinubu

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has directed the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the…

3 hours ago

Ekiti Trains 57 Educators, Therapists in Landmark Inclusive Montessori Program

THE Ekiti State Government, through the Office of Special Education and Social Inclusion, has successfully…

8 hours ago

Egypt coach collapses while trying to stop fight

Egypt head coach Hossam Hassan reportedly collapsed after his two wives got into a dramatic…

10 hours ago

2027: Presidential candidates Sign Peace Accord

...The ceremony came one day before the commencement of campaigns for the presidential and National…

22 hours ago

Ekiti announces date for 2026 Ikogosi Road Race

THE 2026 Ikogosi Road Race will take place on October 31 following official endorsement from…

1 day ago

Nollywood Actor Hassan Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ in critical condition

THE daughter of veteran Yoruba actor, Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has debunked reports…

1 day ago