Local News

Three killed, 15 worshippers abducted during service

News Update

Gunmen on Saturday night reportedly killed three persons and abducted 15 worshippers during a night vigil on the outskirts of Ikiran Village in Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State.

It was gathered that the victims were abducted at about 10:30 pm during a vigil held at a worship centre located at Ijo Ajaye Ati Igbala, Ekerin Village, Ekiti LGA.

It was further gathered that the armed hoodlums stormed the prayer ground, shooting sporadically, killing three worshippers and whisking away 15 others to an unknown destination.

The incident was confirmed by the Police Public Relations Officer of the state command, Toun Ejire-Adeyemi, who said tactical teams had been deployed for a rescue operation.

The Kwara State Police Command, while condemning the attack, described it as a gruesome act against innocent worshippers and confirmed that investigations and rescue efforts were ongoing.

According to a statement, the incident was reported on May 24, 2026, by Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaye Ati Igbala, Ekerin Village, Ekiti LGA, who said armed men invaded the vigil at Ori-Oke Ijaye via Ekerin village on May 23, 2026, at about 8:30 pm, killing three persons and abducting fifteen others.

“Upon receipt of the distress report, the Divisional Police Officer, Ekiti Division, immediately mobilised operatives to the scene,” the statement said.

“The Commissioner of Police, Kwara State Command, CP Ojo Adekimi, psc, mnips, directed a comprehensive tactical and intelligence-driven operation involving the Police Drone Team, PMF personnel, Intelligence Units, and other operational assets for a coordinated rescue mission.

“The Commissioner of Police described the attack as barbaric, callous, and unacceptable, assuring the families of the deceased, the injured, and the abducted victims that the Command is fully committed to ensuring the rescue of all victims and the apprehension of the perpetrators behind the heinous act.

“The Command wishes to assure residents of Ekiti LGA and the entire State that vigorous efforts are ongoing, including bush combing, intelligence gathering, and coordinated security operations to track down the assailants and bring them to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm, vigilant, and supportive by providing credible and timely information that could assist ongoing operations. Further developments will be communicated as the investigation progresses.”

VAM News

Recent Posts

2027: Presidential candidates Sign Peace Accord

...The ceremony came one day before the commencement of campaigns for the presidential and National…

2 hours ago

Ekiti announces date for 2026 Ikogosi Road Race

THE 2026 Ikogosi Road Race will take place on October 31 following official endorsement from…

6 hours ago

Nollywood Actor Hassan Taiwo ‘Ogogo’ in critical condition

THE daughter of veteran Yoruba actor, Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has debunked reports…

6 hours ago

Osun 2026: Oyebamiji Thanks Supporters, Flags Attacks On APC Members, Urges Peace

All Progressives Congress, APC, governorship candidate in the just-concluded Osun State election, Asiwaju Munirudeen Bola…

14 hours ago

83 more Nigerians evacuated from South Africa over Xenophobia attacks

THE Federal Government has announced that another batch of 83 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa…

14 hours ago

“A Great Loss”: Osun Online Publishers Mourn Matron Olufunmilola Abokede

THE Osun Online Publishers Association (OOPA) is in mourning following the death of its Matron,…

15 hours ago