World News

Greece moves against social media use by under-15s

Greece will ban access to social media for children under 15 from January 1, 2027, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said on Wednesday.

“We have decided to go ahead with a difficult but necessary measure: ban access to social media for children under 15 years old,” he said in a video posted on TikTok.

“Greece is among the first countries in the world to adopt such a measure,” the prime minister said, adding that he would put pressure on the European Union to follow suit.

MESSAGE us @ https://Wa.me/+2348072633727 / 08072633727 for business & brand promotion/relationship/partnership, Advert, PR, Publicity, Awareness, Interviews, Feature Stories, Press Release/Statement and any job related to Media…

Mitsotakis said he used social media to make the announcement so he could address teenagers and children directly: “I know that some of you are going to be angry…. Our aim is not to keep you away from technology but to combat addiction to certain applications that harm your innocence and your freedom.”

“Science is clear: when a child is in front of screens for hours, their brain does not rest,” he said.

Australia in December became the first country in the world to require TikTok, YouTube, Snapchat and other top sites to remove accounts held by under-16s, or face heavy fines.

Indonesia began enforcing a social media ban for users under the age of 16 in March and has already issued summons letters to Google and Meta over their failure to comply with the law.

Voice Air Media NEWS CHANNEL @
https://whatsapp.com/channel/a0029VaOyfbTF6smu2UTRUn1w

Austria announced last month it would soon ban social media for children up to the age of 14, with a plan to present a new law “as early as this summer”.

Spain and Denmark have also announced their intention to introduce a digital age of majority for social networks.

Tijani Mariam

Recent Posts

Senator escapes death in APC primary shooting

Gunshots on Monday rocked some wards in the Ondo Central Senatorial District in Ondo State…

17 hours ago

Woman gives birth in court during drug charge arraignment

A pregnant woman shockingly gave birth to a baby boy in the middle of a…

18 hours ago

APC releases full list of senatorial aspirants not cleared for 2027 race

News Update THE All Progressives Congress, APC, has released the list of senatorial aspirants not…

19 hours ago

2027 Presidency: Goodluck Jonathan joins race

THE Tanimu Turaki-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, is set to screen former…

19 hours ago

Bus kills pedestrian in fatal crash

A pedestrian has lost his life after being knocked down by a Toyota Coaster bus…

20 hours ago

Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail, Sets Conditions

The Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir…

21 hours ago