Court

Court rejects Nnamdi Kanu’s transfer request from Sokoto Prison

Justice James Kolawole Omotosho of the Abuja Federal high Court has struck out an ex-parte motion filed by leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, seeking his transfer from the Sokoto correctional facility.

At Tuesday’s proceedings, Kanu’s counsel, Demdoo Asan, a senior legal officer of the Legal Aid Council, informed the court that he wishes to withdraw from the matter, citing some irreconcilable issues.

He said since the last adjourned date, he had been on constant phone communication with the relatives of the applicant.

According to him, Kanu’s relatives did not show up at his office to depose the application, despite phone calls and promises to show up
He added that Kanu wanted to dictate the tune of the matter and control what counsel would say.

MESSAGE us @ https://Wa.me/+2348072633727 / 08072633727 for business & brand promotion/relationship/partnership, Advert, PR, Publicity, Awareness, Interviews, Feature Stories, Press Release/Statement and any job related to Media…

“He wants to write down what I would say while in court. But, as an officer of the court, I can’t in good faith accept that,” Demdoo said.

Demdoo added that he consulted with his superiors and they share the same sentiment, stating that as officers of the court, when a matter comes to them, they will handle the matter as the they see fit, else the applicant can find legal help somewhere else

On that note, he invoked Order 50, Rule 1 of the Federal High Court Rules, seeking to withdraw from the matter.

In his ruling, Justice Omotosho commended the counsel for upholding the dignity of the court.

Justice Omotosho held that having listened to counsel from the Legal Aid Council, he will grant leave for the counsel, and the agency generally, to withdraw from representing the defendant convict.

Voice Air Media NEWS CHANNEL @
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaOyfbTF6smu2UTRUn1w

He added that the motion was incompetent.
“In the interest of justice and fairness, this court directed that other parties involved in the matter be served on notice.

“But since the last court sitting, 8th December, 2025, until today, 27th January, 2026, there is no prove of service before this court,” the judge said.

He thereafter ordered that the motion ex-parte be struck out for lacking competence

Tijani Mariam

Recent Posts

Birthday: Osun Online Publishers Celebrate Amiloaded News Publisher

THE Osun Online Publishers Association (OOPA) has extended warm birthday wishes to one of its…

2 hours ago

#FCTDecides: 637 candidates in for 2026 Area Council Elections

News Update About 637 candidates from 17 political parties are jostling for the 68 positions…

4 hours ago

Nigerians mourn as serving senator Mpigi dies in UK

News Update Governor of Rivers State, Siminalayi Fubara and former Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime…

9 hours ago

Nigeria’s debt rises – DMO

News Update Nigeria’s total public debt reached N153.29 trillion as of September 30, 2025, according…

17 hours ago

N13.7bn payroll fraud: Osun APC Calls for Probe of Adeleke’s Government

News Update THE All Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun State has dragged Dr Deji Adeleke…

18 hours ago

Alleged Staff Audit Fraud Is An APC Sponsored Fake News – Osun Govt

● If There is a fraud , it is That of Governor Oyetola's administration ●…

23 hours ago