Foreign

BREAKING: China condemns US plan to revoke student visas

China on Thursday criticised a new plan by the United States government to revoke student visas for Chinese nationals, calling the move “political and discriminatory,” AFP reported.

 

The decision, announced by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, marked a tightening of visa rules and is expected to impact thousands of students from China and Hong Kong.

 

The announcement, made Wednesday, revealed that the US would begin “aggressively” revoking visas for Chinese students, especially those with ties to the Chinese Communist Party or who are enrolled in sensitive academic fields.

 

The policy is also expected to lead to more stringent vetting of future student visa applications, including increased scrutiny of applicants’ social media activity.

 

Beijing quickly responded with condemnation.

 

Foreign Ministry’s spokesperson, Mao Ning, said China had formally protested the decision, accusing Washington of “unreasonably” targeting Chinese students and undermining international academic exchange.

 

Mao urged the US to protect the “legitimate rights and interests” of international students.

 

The latest measures followed growing scrutiny from the Trump administration of foreign influence in American universities. Trump has previously attempted to limit visas for students attending elite institutions, including Harvard University, amid broader accusations that top schools harbour anti-American sentiments.

 

International students, particularly from China, have long formed a key financial base for US universities. In the 2023–24 academic year, China sent nearly 280,000 students to the United States, although India has recently surpassed it as the top source of foreign students.

 

The visa crackdown is part of a broader foreign policy shift, with Rubio also ordering embassies to halt new visa appointments pending a review of application procedures. Critics argue the new restrictions could discourage not only Chinese students but also students from other countries.

 

Some affected students have expressed anxiety over the uncertainty. A doctoral student from Taiwan, who planned to begin studies in California, said the suspension has caused concern, though they remain hopeful that delays will be resolved before the academic year begins.

 

Backlash has also emerged at Harvard, where protests and legal challenges have followed efforts by the Trump administration to cut federal research funding and impose stricter oversight on admissions.

 

The university has rejected allegations of bias and continues to defend its policies in court.
Agency Report

 

MESSAGE us @ https://Wa.me/+2348072633727 for business relationship, Advert, PR, Publicity, Awareness, Interviews, Feature Stories, Press Release/Statement and so on…

YOU CAN READ MORE NEWS UPDATES AND INFO @ https://www.voiceairmedia.com

Akanji Philip

Akanji Philip has been working as a reporter with VOICE AIR MEDIA, both onsite at the head office in Odi-Olowo, Osogbo, and remotely since 2021. He has covered events at notable political venues, involving prominent figures such as former Osun Governor Adegboyega Oyetola, current Osun State Governor Senator Isiaka Adetunji Adeleke, former Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo, the late Ondo Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, and various other representatives and lawmakers. In addition, he has represented the company at various press conferences at police stations and has reported on occasions featuring entertainers and actors, such as Kola Oyewo during Oba-Ile Day in Osun State, among others. 📞 +2349058501092, +2348137827714 ✉️ akanjiphilips100@gmail.com

Recent Posts

Fuel pump price per litre increased

Nigerian filling stations have increased their Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, pump price. The adjustment was…

12 hours ago

IYD 2026: Osun Police Urge Youth to Shun Political, Digital Thuggery

THE Osun State Police Command has urged Nigerian youth to reject political violence, electoral thuggery…

14 hours ago

Setting the Record Straight: Remi Omowaiye’s Misrepresentations on the 2026 Osun Governorship Election, by Prince Adeotun Omisore

Ordinarily, one wouldn't bother on any response to inglorious pontification of Remi Omowaiye on the…

20 hours ago

Ekiti Domesticates National WEE Policy to Boost Women’s Economic Inclusion

THE Ekiti State Government has commenced moves to integrate women’s economic empowerment into its broader…

21 hours ago

2027: APC Constitutes Presidential Campaign Council For Tinubu’s Re-election

STATEHOUSE STATEMENT Members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council constituted; Abdulaziz Yari to serve as…

21 hours ago

How Two Amotekun officers were killed in Ondo ambush attack

Two personnel of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, Amotekun Corps, were killed when suspected…

22 hours ago