Extra

Date fixed for FG, Onnoghen to submit settlement terms

The Court of Appeal, Abuja division, on Thursday, approved the proposal by the Federal Government to settle out of court with a former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, who is challenging his premature removal from office in 2019.

 

The three-man appellate court panel, led by Justice Joseph Oyewole, also gave the parties November 19, 2024, to return to the court with their settlement terms for possible adoption as the judgment of the court in the dispute.

 

Onnoghen, the 21st CJN, was removed from office in 2019 by the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), which convicted him of failing to declare his assets as a public official. The Danladi Umar-led CCT also ordered the forfeiture of Onnoghen’s five bank accounts.

 

Displeased with the CCT verdict, Onnoghen appealed shortly thereafter, but his case was only listed for hearing this year. The matter came up on August 20, 2024, but was further adjourned till Thursday after the Federal Government’s lawyer, Tijani Gazali (SAN), stated that the Federal Government was considering an out-of-court settlement of the case.

 

At the resumed hearing on Thursday, Onnoghen’s lawyer, Dr. Ogwu Onoja, informed the three-member panel of Justices that the two parties were already in discussions about a peaceful resolution of the dispute. Onoja mentioned that the parties had been in discussion up until Wednesday, September 18.

 

He expressed hope that the discussion would be fruitful and requested a one-month adjournment for the final settlement of the matter.

 

The Federal Government’s lawyer, Gazali, did not object to Onoja’s submission. Instead, he aligned with Onoja’s request for a one-month adjournment to conclude the amicable resolution of the case.

 

He said, “My Lords, I wish to humbly confirm the information. It is our position to settle the matter out of court.”

 

In response, the lead Justice on the matter, Justice Oyewole, directed both parties to file terms of settlement for adoption once agreed upon. He also ordered them to document the terms of settlement and file them in court before the adjourned date for the court to adopt as its judgment in the matter.

 

Justice Oyewole set November 19 as the return date for the two parties.

 

Former President Muhammadu Buhari had, in 2019, removed Justice Onnoghen as the CJN following a charge levelled against him for false declaration of assets, for which the Code of Conduct Tribunal found him guilty and removed him from office.

 

TO READ MORE NEWS UPDATES; CLICK @ https://www.voiceairmedia.com

 

NOTE: YOU can join our WhatsApp, Telegram for the news updates you need by sending your name & location to WhatsApp No. @ Wa.me/+2348111142174

 

Akanji Philip

Akanji Philip has been working as a reporter with VOICE AIR MEDIA, both onsite at the head office in Odi-Olowo, Osogbo, and remotely since 2021. He has covered events at notable political venues, involving prominent figures such as former Osun Governor Adegboyega Oyetola, current Osun State Governor Senator Isiaka Adetunji Adeleke, former Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo, the late Ondo Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, and various other representatives and lawmakers. In addition, he has represented the company at various press conferences at police stations and has reported on occasions featuring entertainers and actors, such as Kola Oyewo during Oba-Ile Day in Osun State, among others. 📞 +2349058501092, +2348137827714 ✉️ akanjiphilips100@gmail.com

Recent Posts

Fake News Alert: Small Alhaji Team Slams “Thugs Disrupted APC Secretariat” Report, Says Story is False

SMALL ALHAJI MEDIA TEAM DEBUNKS ‘THUG DISRUPTION’ CLAIMS, DESCRIBES REPORT AS FALSE AND AI-MANIPULATED The…

7 hours ago

Ekiti South Federal Constituency II Moves to Form Coalition Against Femi Bamisile, Considers NDC as Alternative

Political stakeholders, youths and concerned leaders across Ekiti South Federal Constituency II have rejected the…

9 hours ago

Tajudeen Adefisoye “Small Alhaji” Cleared for Idanre/Ifedore APC primary

All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Representatives aspirant for Idanre/Ifedore Federal constituency, Ondo State, Tajudeen…

13 hours ago

Coach Alonso issues message for Chelsea fc

News Update New Chelsea manager, Xabi Alonso, has expressed happiness after he was appointed as…

16 hours ago

State Perm Sec dies during Hajj

News Update Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, has expressed regrets over the death of the…

17 hours ago

US, Nigerian troops kill ISIS second-in-command

News Update US President Donald Trump says Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the second-in-command of ISIS, has been…

2 days ago