The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, FCT Command, said it intercepted about 3,091.032 kilogrammes of suspected illicit drugs with a monetary value of over N56.9 million between January till date.
Mr Kabir Tsakuwa, FCT Commandant of the agency disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday in Abuja.
Tsakuwa said that the illicit drugs seized included suspected cannabis sativa, cocaine, Methamphetamine, Heroin, Tramadol, Rohypnol, Diazepam, Ecstasy, and Megadon.
He also stated that 343 drug suspects were arrested within the period under review, adding that they comprised 328 males and 15 females.
Tsakuwa also said that within the period under review, 188 drug offenders were prosecuted while 126 had been convicted and sentenced to various jail terms.
According to him, out of the 3,091.032kgs of illicit drugs seized between January and now, cannabis sativa accounted for the largest seizure.
Tsakuwa said, “Drugs seized were cannabis sativa 3,022.529 kilogrammes, cocaine 0.114 kilogramnes, Methamphetamine 1.25 kilogrammes, Heroin 0.0021 kilogrammes.
“We also seized suspected Tramadol 18.578 kilogrammes, Rohypnol 1.195 kilogrammes, Diazepam 4.471 kilogrammes, Ecstasy 0.113 kilogrammes and Megadon 0.263 kilogrammes.
“The monetary value of these drugs stands approximately N56, 903, 600 only.”
The NDLEA boss said that 33 persons with drug use disorder were rehabilitated, while 102 drug users had been counselled and released within the period.
Tsakuwa added that the agency, in collaboration with other security agencies will participate in a joint operation within the FCT to dislodge shanties and hot spots in the FCT.
These, he said, were areas where drug abuses and criminality were suspected to be thriving.
Egypt head coach Hossam Hassan reportedly collapsed after his two wives got into a dramatic…
...The ceremony came one day before the commencement of campaigns for the presidential and National…
THE 2026 Ikogosi Road Race will take place on October 31 following official endorsement from…
THE daughter of veteran Yoruba actor, Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, has debunked reports…
All Progressives Congress, APC, governorship candidate in the just-concluded Osun State election, Asiwaju Munirudeen Bola…
THE Federal Government has announced that another batch of 83 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa…