Local News

5 Die, 1 Injured As Diesel Tanker Loses Control In Sango-Ota-Idiroko Road

At least five people were confirmed dead while one person sustained critical injuries in a multiple accident, which occurred on Wednesday along the ever-busy Sango-Ota-Idiroko Road in the Ado-Odo Ota local government area of Ogun State.

The accident, which occurred at the Iju Waterworks bridge of the highway, involved a diesel-laden MAC tanker with registration number (LAGOS) KTU 258 XT, which rammed over a TVS commercial tricycle popularly called ‘Kaka Marwa’ marked (LAGOS) KSF 822 QL and two other vehicles and a motorcycle.

VOICE AIR MEDIA gathered that the fuel-laden tanker had developed a mechanical fault which resulted in it losing its breaking system, thereby making the driver to lose control of the truck.

The truck consequently rammed over the commercial tricycle and other passengers-bearing vehicles from the rear, before dumping them into the nearby canal.

The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Ogun State-owned Traffic Compliance and Enforcement agency (TRACE), Babatunde Akinbiyi, confirmed the accident, said corpses of the deceased had been evacuated from the canal and deposited at the morgue of the state hospital in Sango-Ota, while the injured victim was also rescued to the same hospital for treatment.

Akinbiyi further stated that security operatives, which included the Police, TRACE Corps and operatives of the NSCDC were still awaiting the arrival of officials of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas (NUPENG) with equipment to trans-load the petroleum product from the MAC tanker, which has caused serious traffic gridlock in the axis.

According to Akinbiyi, 11 people – eight males and three females – were involved in the accident.

“The injured victim has been rescued to hospital before our arrival by good Samaritans, while the presumed dead had been evacuated to Ota General Hospital Morgue.

“Evacuation of all the vehicles involved had been completed except the tanker loaded with Diesel that fell in the ditch as we await NUPENG officials for transloading before total evacuation,” Akinbiyi said.

Do you have any information you wish to share with us? Do you want us to cover your event or programme? For Adverts or report call/WhatsApp us on +2348072633727

VAM News

Recent Posts

Fake News Alert: Small Alhaji Team Slams “Thugs Disrupted APC Secretariat” Report, Says Story is False

SMALL ALHAJI MEDIA TEAM DEBUNKS ‘THUG DISRUPTION’ CLAIMS, DESCRIBES REPORT AS FALSE AND AI-MANIPULATED The…

6 hours ago

Ekiti South Federal Constituency II Moves to Form Coalition Against Femi Bamisile, Considers NDC as Alternative

Political stakeholders, youths and concerned leaders across Ekiti South Federal Constituency II have rejected the…

7 hours ago

Tajudeen Adefisoye “Small Alhaji” Cleared for Idanre/Ifedore APC primary

All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Representatives aspirant for Idanre/Ifedore Federal constituency, Ondo State, Tajudeen…

12 hours ago

Coach Alonso issues message for Chelsea fc

News Update New Chelsea manager, Xabi Alonso, has expressed happiness after he was appointed as…

14 hours ago

State Perm Sec dies during Hajj

News Update Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, has expressed regrets over the death of the…

16 hours ago

US, Nigerian troops kill ISIS second-in-command

News Update US President Donald Trump says Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the second-in-command of ISIS, has been…

2 days ago