Local News

Alleged Organ Harvesting: Nigeria’s Ekweremadu’s Wife, Beatrice Granted Bail

Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu, wife of a Nigerian senator, Ike Ekweremadu, has been granted bail after appearing at the Old Bailey, United Kingdom, on Friday for bail hearing.

This is according to the Common Serjeant of London, judge Richard Marks.

Ekweremadu was accused of trafficking a 21-year-old into the UK to harvest his kidney for her ailing daughter.

“The position is that I have granted bail to Beatrice subject to some fairly stringent conditions but I have refused bail to Ike,” the judge ruled.

Ekweremadu was however denied bail.

Ike and Beatrice were arrested in the UK on 21 June after flying in to Heathrow from Turkey.

Prosecutors are not appealing the decision, the court heard.

Prosecutor Tim Probert-Wood said previously that the case involved ‘exploitation and the harvesting of an organ.’

He said, “The case began on 5 May 2022 when the complainant presented himself at Staines Police Station and claimed he had been transported to this country for the purpose of his kidney being removed.

“He arrived on 20th February 2022 and was taken to Royal Free Hospital where tests were conducted.

“For the purpose he was there he did not consent to the taking of his kidney. He returned to the house he was staying and his treatment changed dramatically. He described being treated effectively as a slave.”

Recall that Beatrice, 55 together with her husband, Ekweremadu, 60 allegedly trafficked the 21-year-old to London from the streets of Lagos in order to harvest his organ.

Beatrice is charged with arranging or facilitating travel of another person with a view to exploitation, between August 1 2021 and May 5, under the Modern Slavery Act 2015.

Ike is charged with conspiracy to arrange or facilitate travel of another person with a view to exploitation, namely organ harvesting.

The duo are accused of plotting to traffic the victim to transplant his organs to their daughter who suffers from kidney failure.

The victim allegedly escaped the address and was homeless for three days before he turned up at Staines Police Station.

Martin Hicks, QC, defending Ike, has said: “We deny that there was any exploitation or any intent to do so. The argument will be factual denial.”

The couple are due to appear at the Old Bailey on 4 August.

KINDLY Send Your Name And City Of Location To Our WhatsApp No. 08072633727🤳🏻 To Receive Latest New Updates Directly Into Your WhatsApp Inbox And Also For your Advert Placement, Publicity, Press Release, Personality Promotion, Special Report, Featured Story, Conference, Interviews, And So On – CONTACT US Too 📞☝🏻 📲

VAM News

Recent Posts

Osun APC calls for calm amid election disputes

The leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Osun State has called for restraint…

1 hour ago

Bandits behead abducted teacher

Michael Oyedokun, one of the kidnapped teachers of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local…

1 hour ago

Supporter shot dead at APC poll

A yet-to-be-identified man was shot dead while several others sustained injuries during a violent clash…

2 hours ago

FG’s UTME Exemption Raises Education Concerns

The Federal Government’s decision to exempt candidates seeking admission into Colleges of Education and Agriculture…

2 hours ago

APC 2027: Ondo Reps Candidates Emerge After Heated Primaries – Full list

THE All Progressives Congress. APC, has unveiled its candidates for the 2027 House of Representatives…

5 hours ago

Fake News Alert: Small Alhaji Team Slams “Thugs Disrupted APC Secretariat” Report, Says Story is False

SMALL ALHAJI MEDIA TEAM DEBUNKS ‘THUG DISRUPTION’ CLAIMS, DESCRIBES REPORT AS FALSE AND AI-MANIPULATED The…

12 hours ago