World News

Quarantine Hotel Escapee Couple Arrested By Dutch Police

Dutch police say they have detained a couple who escaped from a Covid-quarantine hotel.

The arrests were made on a plane in Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport just before take-off on Sunday evening.

The two people – who have not been named – were later handed over to the country’s health service.

It comes after 13 people who arrived in Amsterdam on two flights from South Africa last week tested positive for the new coronavirus variant.

They are among 61 passengers who tested positive for Covid.

It is not known whether the detained couple were among those passengers.

Local media are reporting that they managed to flee a quarantine hotel in the north-western Kennemerland region, where travellers from South Africa are currently in self-isolation.

The escapees could be prosecuted for violating Dutch quarantine rules, De Telegraaf newspaper says.

An extended partial lockdown came into force on Sunday morning across the Netherlands, amid record Covid cases and concerns over the new variant.

Bars, restaurants and shops – whose opening hours have already been restricted for several weeks – are required to close earlier than before, and there is a limit on the number of guests allowed in homes.

People are also being encouraged to work from home where possible, but nurseries, schools and universities across the country remain open.

Thousands of people protested after the measures were announced earlier this month.

The Netherlands has had nearly 20,000 confirmed Covid-related deaths since the pandemic started.

Omicron was first reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) by South Africa on Wednesday, and early evidence suggests it has a higher re-infection risk. It has been categorised by the WHO as a “variant of concern”.

Do you have any information you wish to share with us? Do you want us to cover your event or programme? For Adverts or report call/WhatsApp us on +2348072633727

VAM News

Recent Posts

Fake News Alert: Small Alhaji Team Slams “Thugs Disrupted APC Secretariat” Report, Says Story is False

SMALL ALHAJI MEDIA TEAM DEBUNKS ‘THUG DISRUPTION’ CLAIMS, DESCRIBES REPORT AS FALSE AND AI-MANIPULATED The…

5 hours ago

Ekiti South Federal Constituency II Moves to Form Coalition Against Femi Bamisile, Considers NDC as Alternative

Political stakeholders, youths and concerned leaders across Ekiti South Federal Constituency II have rejected the…

6 hours ago

Tajudeen Adefisoye “Small Alhaji” Cleared for Idanre/Ifedore APC primary

All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Representatives aspirant for Idanre/Ifedore Federal constituency, Ondo State, Tajudeen…

11 hours ago

Coach Alonso issues message for Chelsea fc

News Update New Chelsea manager, Xabi Alonso, has expressed happiness after he was appointed as…

14 hours ago

State Perm Sec dies during Hajj

News Update Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, has expressed regrets over the death of the…

15 hours ago

US, Nigerian troops kill ISIS second-in-command

News Update US President Donald Trump says Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the second-in-command of ISIS, has been…

2 days ago