World News

U.S. suspends $700M aid to Sudan

The United States on Monday suspended $700 million in financial assistance to Sudan following a coup, which U.S. officials have roundly condemned.

Abdel-Fattah Burhan, Sudanese military leader Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan

The State Department said the full amount of the aid package had been put on “pause” pending a review of the developments in Khartoum that saw the military oust a civilian-led transitional authority and detain many of its members.

Spokesman Ned Price called for the immediate release of those arrested, including Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, and the restoration of the civilian authority.

“The civilian-led transitional government should be immediately restored. It represents the will of the Sudanese people, as evidenced by the significant, peaceful demonstrations of support.

“We recognize the legitimate grievances about the pace of the transition, but (the) dismissal of government officials and dissolution of government institutions, both violate Sudan’s constitutional declaration and abandon the democratic aspirations of the Sudanese people.”

“Military officials should immediately release and ensure the safety of all detained political actors, fully restore the civilian led transitional government and refrain from any violence against protesters, including the use of live ammunition.

“Any change to the transitional government by force risks assistance and our bilateral relationship more broadly,” Price said.

The suspended aid was direct financial support intended to help the country transition to a fully civilian government.

Price said additional U.S. aid to the country could also be at risk, along with the broader relationship.

Ties between Washington and Khartoum had been warming since Sudan agreed to pay compensation to the victims of the 1998 embassy bombings in neighbouring Kenya and nearby Tanzania that were planned on Sudanese soil by Osama bin Laden’s al-Qaida network.

Sudan had been removed from the U.S. list of “state sponsors of terrorism” late last year.

It was not immediately clear how much aid the U.S. is providing Sudan in addition to the $700 million that was suspended.

Many forms of U.S. assistance, including military aid, are still barred due to a decades-old determination that a coup had brought Sudan’s now-deposed authoritarian leader Omar al-Bashir to power in 1989.

That determination had not been rescinded despite the recent thaw in relations.

A MUST TO READ BELOW
For your Advert Placement, Publicity, Press Release, Personality Promotion, Special Report, Featured story, Conference, Interviews, And So On – CONTACT US on WhatsApp/Call📞@ 08072633727 📲
NOTE: We wish to add you to our WhatsApp Database to get our Trending, latest and timely news directly into your WhatsApp Box as the news breaks.

VAM News

Recent Posts

Fuel pump price per litre increased

Nigerian filling stations have increased their Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, pump price. The adjustment was…

9 hours ago

IYD 2026: Osun Police Urge Youth to Shun Political, Digital Thuggery

THE Osun State Police Command has urged Nigerian youth to reject political violence, electoral thuggery…

10 hours ago

Setting the Record Straight: Remi Omowaiye’s Misrepresentations on the 2026 Osun Governorship Election, by Prince Adeotun Omisore

Ordinarily, one wouldn't bother on any response to inglorious pontification of Remi Omowaiye on the…

16 hours ago

Ekiti Domesticates National WEE Policy to Boost Women’s Economic Inclusion

THE Ekiti State Government has commenced moves to integrate women’s economic empowerment into its broader…

17 hours ago

2027: APC Constitutes Presidential Campaign Council For Tinubu’s Re-election

STATEHOUSE STATEMENT Members of the APC Presidential Campaign Council constituted; Abdulaziz Yari to serve as…

17 hours ago

How Two Amotekun officers were killed in Ondo ambush attack

Two personnel of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, Amotekun Corps, were killed when suspected…

19 hours ago